[ SHOWGSD-L ] DOWN PASTERNS

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:36:59 -0800

 I agree 100%.  I gave "sure grow" which is calcium tablets.  I  finally
found a great home for him, one that understood he may or may not come  up
on his  pasterns.  He was also a fussy eater.  Being the worry  wart that
they were they took him to the vet and ran every possible  test.  All came
back negative and normal....except he had high level  of  calcium. So, my
feelings that it is a calcium deficiency is bogus.

tina

Paul opines...

Research has come up with a deficiency in manganese, magnesium, and
phosphorous...hence the use of Maalox by many whose dogs have DPS.

We haven't had DPS for eons even tho our lines are predisposed for it. I
believe it is due to a regimen we use in feeding our bitches in whelp. We
feed them a raw diet plus a supplement that is complete and does contain
significant levels of manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, as well as many
other trace minerals, vitamins, proteins, and it even has bovine colostrum.
The key is getting it to the puppies eneutero so even if they are
predisposed to DPS the supplement strengthens the ligamentation of the
pasterns. It does help those puppies that suffer from DPS but not as much as
it would if they got it eneutero. Syd and others are right when they say
time is the answer, but not the only answer.

These conclusions come from many years and many litters. They are not
scientific but they are based on experience and a decent knowledge of canine
nutrition.

Paul