[ SHOWGSD-L ] DOG LAW - VET EXPERT TESTIMONY

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 20:05:06 EST

In a message dated 2/13/09 2:13:44 PM Pacific Standard Time, wynsum@xxxxxxx
writes:
I was  watching one of those Judge Arbitration shows on TV and caught a
few  minutes of a Vet giving expert testimony. Most of what she said, I had
never  heard
before

As an attorney who does medical malpractice, both on the plaintiff  and the
defendant's sides, I am used to these type of experts.  We call  them hired
"whores". They are paid to say what the side wants, and it is up to  the
opposing
attorney to show them for the idiots they are.

I remember one medical practice case where the defendan'ts doctor was a  well
known hired gun. After I quoted him a number of sections from his report, I
approached the witness and showed him that the name on the report was for a
client of mine years ago, where he claimed the exact same results on the tests
he gave. It was proven that he had just taken a report, changed the name, and
 submitted it as his expert opinion.

At trial, people lie.  Experts more than most.  You never win  with your
expert. The juries expect that the lawyer will hire someone to  say what they
want
said.  The way to win is to take the other expert apart,  and if done
correctly, get them to admit they were wrong.

In a dog trial I got the animal control administrator from Orange County to
admit that she had failed to interpret the law correctly, and after using Bob
Penny as an expert, (they could not touch his testimony), the prosecutor told
 the court that I was correct, and that they would conceed the trial and
allow  the court to follow my suggestions.

I love it when that happens.

Evan  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/