[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM marker

  • From: "Rebecca Little" <pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <myjoygs@xxxxxxx>, <ejdegen@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 13:55:22 -0500

I really do not think thats at all what that means. That would be someones
spin on it. You need to read the info for yourself. It is VERY plainly
written that some breeds have a 40% chance of carrying the gene or higher. I
have NO IDEA how it was spun into what was written by the previous person. I
think people need to read it aloud or something lol!

This is copied from the site

A relatively high percentage of dogs in several breeds have the predisposing
mutation. With the testing done thus far (thru February 2011), the frequency
of the mutation is over 70% in Boxers, Pembroke Welsh Corgis, and Wire Fox
Terriers. There are another 10 breeds where the mutation frequency is over
40%. For breeds with a high frequency of the DM mutation, it will take wise
use of the test and several generations to maintian a healthy and diverse
gene pool while reducing the prevalence of DM. It is important for breeders
and owners to keep in mind all the traits present in an individual dog, and
not to simply breed a test result. We encourage breeders to DNA test
potential breeding stock and consider the results of the DM test as part of
their evaluation and decision-making process.

I see NO WHERE the presumptions that have been made. READ SLOWLY what it
says. It does say however not to throw out the baby with the bathwater and
to take into consideration all things.

Rebecca Little
Peakes Brook German Shepherds
http://www.peakesbrookshepherds.net/