[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM in German Shepherds Question

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: gsdpal@xxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 07:56:24 -0500 (EST)

Ahhh Jeanne, so hard and gosh I am so sorry you are dealt this hand.

As far as breeding carriers or dogs that have been tested "at  risk"
(obviously w/ no symptoms), I would, but I would be sure to breed to  a clear.
If
the test is accurate (???) and if we do this for several  generations,
keeping a carrier puppy from an "at risk" to a clear breeding, then  breeding
back to a clear and keeping a clear puppy back, we can greatly  improve.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions
visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 12/15/2013 12:09:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gsdpal@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I have a  six year old male with DM.  His diagnosis was arrived at by a
process  of eliminating all other possible causes of his symptoms, after a
cheek  swab test showed that he had two affected alleles.  That is  the
standard protocol for living animals that are suspected of having  this
disease.  Among other things, his testing included full spinal  x-rays, and
an MRI, all performed at a respected specialty hospital by a  veterinary
neurologist.  All of his symptoms are consistent with a  diagnosis of
degenerative myelopathy.  Neither of his parents was  affected by this
disease, but they were both apparently carriers -- there  is no other way
that my dog could have both alleles affected.
The cheek  swab test for the affected allele is not perfect, but it cannot
return a  false negative result.  It is my hope that anyone who breeds GSDs
will  test for the affected allele, and not breed a dog that carries it.
That is  the only way to minimize this horrible disease in the GSD gene
pool.

I  am certain that this Christmas will be the last one I can celebrate with
my  dog, as he is failing rapidly in spite of our best efforts to slow  the
progression of the disease.  I don't want to start a "baby and the  bath
water" argument on the list, and I am not suggesting that anyone  should
throw their baby out, if it carries the affected allele.  Just  don't breed
it.  Please.

Jeanne  Carlisle

POST  is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.