[ SHOWGSD-L ] DM - So Misunderstood (Long)

  • From: <cnnpmm2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 17:59:38 -0500

I know I'm joining in this discussion quite late; however, I would like to
share some thoughts re DM..

A year or so ago, one of our youngsters suffered a soft tissue injury of his
back near the loins.  The swelling from the injury caused a slight compression
of his spinal cord.  He presented with symptoms *identical* to those of DM.

Our boy was seen at one of the top Veterinary Neurology practices in the
country.  (This practice is staffed by board certified Neurologists ONLY.)
While our dog was undergoing tests to make sure his spine was okay, I asked one
of the Vets to test him for DM.  The Vet told me that he didn't feel there was
a need to test a young GSD for DM.  He told me that 90+ percent of all GSDs,
that they evaluate, with a diagnosis of DM, do NOT have DM.  He went on to say
that the practice has seen only 1 or 2 cases of DM in a younger GSD.  He said
it is a "disease of the elderly."

The Neurologist told me that most of the dogs they see, who have been given a
tentative diagnosis of DM, in fact, have any number of diseases that mimic DM;
diseases such as lumbosacral disease, Osteochondritis Dissecans (OCD) of the
spine, spinal cord infarcts(more common than you would think), compression of
the spinal cord due to injuries/ruptured discs, and the list goes on.

Another interesting thing I discovered..  the Vets at this specialty hospital
and the Neurologists at a nearby Veterinary Teaching Hospital do not *yet* have
confidence in the genetic test for DM.  I went ahead and had our dog tested for
DM, and he is DM Clear.  While I'm certainly glad our dog tested Clear, I can't
say, based on this test result, that I have the "warm fuzzies" that he will
never ever come down with DM.

Here's some excellent information, found on the Internet, regarding diagnosing
DM:

-Extensive testing is necessary to rule out other diseases that may mimic
degenerative myelopathy.
-Diagnostic testing such as complete blood cell count, chemistry profile,
urinalysis, plain x-rays of the spine, myelogram with CT scan and, in some
cases, MRI are needed to rule out other diseases that cause weakness and
paralysis.
-Degenerative myelopathy is an EXCLUSIONARY diagnosis, meaning that once all
other diseases have been ruled out, degenerative myelopathy is assumed. The
only way to definitively diagnose this condition is on autopsy with microscopic
examination of the spinal cord.

Please take that last bullet to heart;  Degenerative myelopathy is an
EXCLUSIONARY diagnosis.

Personally, I think the number of  DM cases diagnosed each year is seriously
skewed.  With the cost of diagnostic procedures, such as the myelogram with CT,
being astronomically high, a lot of people can not afford to rule out other
diseases where the presenting symptoms mimic those of DM.  I believe this has
to result in a great number of false diagnoses of DM.  Then, once the dog with
suspected DM has expired, how many people have a necropsy done by a Neurologist
to confirm a diagnosis of DM?  My guess would be not many.

Bottom line, if your dog tests Clear for DM, yet eventually exhibits signs of
DM, don't assume the test was incorrect or that your dog does have DM.  As I
wrote above, there are so many problems that can mimic the symptoms of DM.

I'm not a Vet, so do your own research re DM.  I would like to close with
saying, IMO, that there any number of diseases I feel are a greater threat,
than DM, to the morbidity/longevity of our Breed.  Chief among these is
Mesenteric Torsion(MT).  This disease has a 100% mortality rate and can kill at
any age.  If you don't believe our dogs are dying of MT, then your head is in
the sand.

PaulETTE McGuirt, GSDCA Member
Wellborn-Allemande German Shepherds
Qui Me Amat, Amat et Canem Meam