[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DM Questions and answers

  • From: TRennie100@xxxxxxx
  • To: wynsum@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:35:33 -0500 (EST)

I was unfortunate enough to have a sire that was stricken with DM  at. Then
a dam, and their one offspring daughter I kept. They were all 8  years old
when they could no longer pick themselves up and I had to lovingly  send
them off to the Rainbow Bridge. My sire was an import from England..
Supposedly health free..

I do not care if  a GRAND VICTOR is shown to be a carrier.. I would  NEVER
chance passing that dreaded, heart wrenching disease on to an innocent
puppy or a potential owner...

If you have not lived with DM, then trust me, you would only breed clear to
 clear.. NO MATTER WHAT..

I must 100% agree with Zoe.

JMHO

Back to lurking

Teona

In a message dated 1/17/2012 12:52:10 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
wynsum@xxxxxxx writes:
Here is  where Evan and I will have to agree to disagree. If we want to
remove DM from  our breed,
we cannot breed an A/A to a clear, because 50% of the litter  will be
carriers.

Clear to clear is the best way to go and prevents the  gene from being
transmitted

This is how I decide.

It works for  me.

On 17 Jan 2012, at 14:16, ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:

It  seems to me that using OFA is important. It is an open data base, so
everyone can see the results.  If we are determined to improve the  breed,
we should share this information and not have to depend on someone  telling
us  the results.

I know I looked up one of the big  winners out here and he was A/A.  As
such, I would only breed to him  with a bitch clear for DM.  It is an
important  tool.

POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.