[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DJD talked to Dr Keller/OVC not students

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: sanderhaus@xxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 15:16:28 -0400 (EDT)

Sort of.  The way it was explained to me is that UAP and OCD could be  seen
on an x-ray and would be noted (that part we agree upon).

I was told if there was any wear and tear they would rate it as DJD 1,2 or
3 and when they couldn't see anything else, automatically assume  FCP.

FCP is always checked when there is the result of DJD, even though it is
not visible on the x-rays.

It is explained on their web site:

The fragmented coronoid process occurs at 4 to 10 months
of age. Unlike  a UAP, an FCP may not be visible radiographically
(Fig. 3). Fissures in the  cartilage or slightly irregular
articular margins would be the least abnormal  (Figs. 4 &
5). These changes are not evident radiographically, but  the
resulting degenerative changes would eventually become  evident
radiographically.
Definitive radiographic identification of FCP  often is not
possible because of super-imposition of the radial head  over
the medial coronoid process. In addition, the central  radiographic
beam rarely intersects the cleavage line in a  parallel
manner.
The diagnosis of the FCP is typically from the  secondary
degenerative changes that result from the abnormality  (Figs.
9& 10, page 5). These are seen as early as 7 to 8 months of
age  but may not be evident until maturity. These are osteophytes
located on the  proximal and lateral aspects of the
anconeal process. Similar changes on the  medial humeral
epicondyle and medial aspects of the joint develop as the  disorder
progresses. Sclerosis between the proximal radius and
ulna and/or  an increased humeroradial joint space maybe seen
on a lateral  projection.

___________________________

As far as OVC, no, not students...it is/was their head honcho.  I just
pulled out an OVC form to get you a name. This was the last dog I did,  someone
wanted to use him before he was 2 so I sent the x-rays up to OVC because
they used to give a permanent # at 18 mo.  The vet was heather Chalmers,
DVM, Diplomate ACVR, Assistant professor, Radiology.  certainly no student
<VBG>.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
Celebrating generations  of Dual Titled TC'd Champions

visit http://www.pinehillgsds.com/

In a message dated 7/21/2014 1:04:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sanderhaus@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Ironically I talked to Dr. Keller today. I wanted a clarification  of this “
DJD”. Have no dogs with it but have inquired about a dog whose films  were
just sent in to OFA that I had some interest in.
i asked why they  don’t put more than DJD on elbow results?

he said they do if it is  visible. he said DJD is the side effect of one of
the 3 elbow dysplasias, UAP,  FCP or OCD. He said UAP and OCD can be seen
on the x-ray so they would note  it. if it is FCP it is a fragment that
cannot be seen by anyone as it’s inside  the coronoid process and is not
visible
on the films. He said if the result  says DJD and nothing else, it is caused
by FCP (fragmented coronoid process)  which is elbow dysplasia. DJD doesn’t
happen alone. DJD is the side effect of  ED. Period. So if vet’s can’t see
ED that’s because it’s FCP and OFA can’t  either.

Why did some pass OVC? I wonder too. Maybe because they are  students and
not as experienced? I have no idea. Certainly not looking for a  debate.
Trying to further educate myself thus the call to OFA.

OFA also  is not saying a dog with DJD 1 will progress to a 2 or 3 grade.
this is also  all on their website. Just that DJD is the result of ED.

Something I  surely didn’t know.

susan

Sander-Haus German Shepherd  Dogs
www.Sander-Haus.com
Members of GSDCA & GSDCA-WDA.
Signers  of the GSDCA Breeders Code of  Ethics

 is Copyrighted 2014.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.

http://showgsd.org/mail.html

http://showgsd.org/mail.html