[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DEEP SNOW

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ELG440@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:42:59 -0800

Snow is over 20 ft. deep on Donner Summit this year.....which is the mountain
pass
between Sacramento, Calif.  and Reno Nevada.   ALL Interstate 80 traffic has to
pass
over Donner Summit going East.
It's about 30 miles from where we live in the foothills....and we seldom get
snow here.
Donner is both beautiful and treacherous to pass over in the winter and nothing
but
gorgeous in the Summer as you drop down over the other side looking down on
Donner Lake heading towards Tahoe.
The State ( Cal Trans ) keeps Interstate 80 open almost year round daily in all
kinds of
weather.   The only thing that really shuts it down is heavy traffic from
skiers ...or Reno
gamblers, wrecks and high winds.   When the wind blows visibility is ZERO in
snow.
When it shuts down.......all the trucks and traffic is held at Applegate
area....which is
about six miles from us and where Sharon Allbright lives.
<G>
California is a State of every kind of weather imaginable.......from the
intense heat of
Death Valley to the incredible snow depths on Donner Summit and the Lake Tahoe
region to the coastal weather the entire length of the State...from North Coast
high
winds and storms to balmy Southern California sandy beaches....and of course
fog.
You can never say California didn't get ANY kind of weather because we have it
all
on any given week.     <G>

Carolyn    marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.Marhaven.com