[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: DE and the dreaded Brown Recluse Spider - OT

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 07:57:51 -0400 (EDT)

My youngest child was bit by a brown recluse when we moved to Texas.   Her
leg swelled incredibly fast.
My car was in the shop, so I called 911, and while we waited for an
ambulance, I lanced the site. The doctors told us that's the only reason she
ended up not needing skin grafts, as the skin in that area quickly died.   It
was a very bizarre experience.  And if you ask Tuti, a very painful  one.  She
is just glad I knew what to do.  I try very hard no to kill  any living
creature, but I make an exception for brown recluse and  roaches.

* Ileana  *
Love me, love my dogs.

In a message dated 6/5/2012 2:34:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
uwish@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi  All:  I have a friend that I was talking to on the phone the other
night who lives in Tennessee.  She told me that she was bit by a  brown
recluse spider and has since found others as well.  She just  moved down
there from New York last September.  She and her husband  have been
renovating and sprucing the place up.  They recently put up  new siding
and when they did, they saw the shedding of these spiders on  the wall of
the house where the old siding came down.  I didn't know  these "yuckies"
shed their skin like a snake.  She told me that's  what the exterminator
told her.  She got bit while she was in her bed  and felt it crawl across
her neck to her shoulder.  She hit it and  killed it and took it the the
hospital with her where they told her it was  a Brown Recluse.  Thank God
after heavy duty antibiotics, she's doing  fine now.  But the
exterminator gave her some things to put around  the floor where it would
catch anything that might crawl into it and kill  it.  Lo and behold, she
told me another Brown Recluse was found in it  again in her bedroom.  The
goosebumps on my arms as she told me this  made me feel like they were
crawling on me.  What a nightmare!   My question to everyone is this, I
know that DE kills most spiders that  crawl (or try to crawl) through
it.  However, her exterminator told  her that Brown Recluse spiders are
different from their relatives in that  they don't crawl, they go up on
their legs and move sideways like a crab  does.  So, has anyone had any
experience with this "horror" and can  you tell me if DE will kill them
as well and will they avoid trying to  cross over it?  Thanks for any
information you can give me.   Barbara
POST  is Copyrighted 2011.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.