[ SHOWGSD-L ] Cystic Ovaries

  • From: paravelgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (showgsd)
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:13:21 +0000

Ok lets see if one of you breeding geniuses can help me out here.Is there
anyway
you can find out if a bitch has cysts on her ovaries? She's 5½ in good
health(although she's taken to disliking her dry/canned mix in favor of Ol' Roy
treats)weight is normal 65#. The vet said she was cornified, before you ask
there were no numbers mentioned we did 2 AI's and the blood test yester came
back negative for her being in whelp. Any suggestions as I'm fixing to pull my
hair out.
  Bob Neiman
Bob,
Usually if you have cystic ovaries you have unusual heat cycles.  They may
short cycle, every 3-4 months, or even have extended heat cycles.  You can find
cystic ovaries by ultrasound.  Now, repro vets will perform a uterine exam
where they will open up the uterus and look for cysts in the uterus.  They are
finding that the cysts are preventing the fetus from attaching to the uterus.
My repro vet has had very good success by rupturing these cysts and thus
allowing the attachment.  If you are coming to the National this year I
recommend that you stop by Dr. Greg Burns set-up in the stall area.  He will be
performing semen evaluations for stud dog owners and is also available to
freeze semen.  He is a wealth of information and a really nice guy.  When we
talked to him about the national set-up he told me that he would perform the
semen evaluations for free, I will make sure that is correct, but what a great
opportunity for stud dog owners to check their dogs!!!

Sheri Chambers
Paravel German Shepherds
Fort Collins, CO