[ SHOWGSD-L ] Cut Ear Question

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:54:37 EST

One of my dogs came in the other night with a cut ear that was bleeding
badly.  I have no idea how it happened - he was in his run by himself and
I can't find anything he could have cut himself on.  I stopped the bleeding
by putting pressure on it with a wet cloth and it looked ok for a couple of
days.  Last night when I brought him in it was bleeding badly again.  I was
able to stop the bleeding again, but this morning he shook his head hard
and it started bleeding again.  It's been ok the rest of the day and is
scabbed over again but I'm worried about him getting it bleeding badly
while I'm at work.  I'm going to take off work early tomorrow and run him
to my vet, but I really don't know what can be done.  I ran into my vet
at church today and he said he'll look at it, but ear injuries are really
tough to treat.
The split is about a half inch deep.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
This is a young adult, very energetic boy and I'm sure any kind of bandage
won't last long!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Janice Buchanan
Wasatch-Gold German Shepherds