[ SHOWGSD-L ] Crufts 2012 Checked Breeds

  • From: Mike Lynch <blackhawkfarms214@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l GSDList <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:38:41 -0600

Hi all,
I know many of us on this list are not really concerned with Crufts dog
show in England, but they are the largest dog show in the world. If you
havent been paying close attention, the BOB Bulldog and BOB Peke were not
allowed to show in the group--not because the Judge witheld the award but
because their  Veterinarian  checks. As I understand there are 15 breeds
which will be checked at the shows, the GSD is one of those 15 breeds. Mrs.
Ramsay, the co-owner of my black dog, said the GSDs are shown on Saturday
and there is "talk" surrounding the check before the group.   Even though a
judge has awarded it BOB it can,  be turned down by the veterinarian before
the group.
This is a wake up call for all of us.

Mike Lynch
Blackhawk Farms
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4199/23/5/3
Bulldog and Pekingese fail Crufts vet checks No dog representing the
Pekingese and Bulldog breeds will compete in Thursday evening?s Best in
Group competitions at Crufts after they failed the new veterinary checks
that have been introduced to the show.

The Best of Breed award was not given to Pekingese, Palacegarden Bianca, or
Bulldog, Mellowmood One In A Million, following their veterinary checks,
which were carried out by an independent veterinary surgeon. This means
that the dogs will not be allowed to continue into the Toy or Utility Best
in Group competitions respectively.

The Kennel Club has introduced veterinary checks for the Best of Breed
winners at all Kennel Club licensed General and Group Championship Dog
Shows from Crufts 2012 onwards, in 15 designated high profile breeds. This
measure was introduced to ensure that Best of Breed awards are not given to
any dogs that show visible signs of problems due to conditions that affect
their health or welfare.

The fifteen high profile breeds are as follows: Basset Hound, Bloodhound,
Bulldog, Chow Chow, Clumber Spaniel, Dogue De Bordeaux, German Shepherd
Dog, Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Pekingese, Shar Pei, St Bernard, French
Bulldog, Pug and Chinese Crested.

Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary, said: ?We are determined to ensure
that the show ring is a positive force for change and that we help to move
breeds forward by only rewarding the healthiest examples of a breed.

?The veterinary checks were introduced to ensure that dogs with exaggerated
features do not win prizes. The independent veterinary surgeon decided that
the Pekingese and Bulldog should not pass their checks and therefore they
did not receive their Best of Breed awards and will not be representing
their breeds in the remainder of the competition.?