[ SHOWGSD-L ] Critiques-Jack's et al

  • From: ropajagsd@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:58:37 -0500 (EST)

I too have enjoyed the format of Jack's critique of the dogs he judged...Let me
first say this, I do not necessarily form an opinion on a dog based on a visual
or a word picture of a dog, there are too many variables involved.  But if I do
not know the dog, a photo or a critique does create at least a "first
impression" with me...So what would be even more interesting , would be at a
2-4 show weekend; having each of the judges give their critiques of the same
dogs (assuming that the same dogs were entered each day) being just as detailed
as Jack has been in his critiques. That would present a more complete picture.
I have seen critiques in the past where one judge states this dog has a great
masculine head; and then in the afternoon or the next day, the other judge
states this dog "did not have enough head for me". So okay, based on the
premise that both are supposed to be educated specialty judges of long standing
in the breed and that they are judging against the standard...for someone who
is learning the breed, those differing critiques would present an issue.   This
leaves the reader with the option of deciding based on their own knowledge
which judge has the most knowledgeable eye unless of course there were
extenuating circumstances which would have made a difference in the dog from
one day to the next.

By the way, those comments mentioned above were from actual critiques by
"respected" specialty judges on the same dog within a 24 hr time period; those
are words taken from the short critiques that are sometimes in the Review from
Nationals breed//fut/mat/spec judges or in some years remarks made by judges at
the banquet dinner at the nationals.

So, critiques may be informative but different judges do have different
interpretations of what is in front of their eyes; that is ONE of the reasons
why we have different winners from the same group of entries on a multi-show
weekend.  There are other reasons for this of course, but that is a different
topic.  So the bottom line is: a critique is still one person's opinion of a
dog on one particular day and its relevance should be based on that. That last
comment is a general one and NOT a reflection on Jack Kilgore's judging nor his
critiques.

Pauline Moon
www.ropajagsd.com