[ SHOWGSD-L ] Critique: New Orleans (Judge: Helen Franklin)

  • From: "Helen" <helen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 11:17:09 -0800

GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG CLUB OF LOUISIANA
Saturday, February 26, 2005

Judge:  Helen Franklin

3 Points Dogs and Bitches

New Orleans is one of those magic places that should be on the top of
anyone's wish to visit list.  From the vibrant, exciting city itself with
its colorful history and unequaled restaurants, to the warm hospitality of
the GSD people who reside there, it was an all around special treat.  The
show was part of a three day specialty weekend and many of the top handlers
were in attendance.  I thank them for their entries and the lovely dogs they
brought.

BEST OF BREED:  Ch. Utopia's Let Freedom Ring

Ch Survivals Tuff Decision x Ch. Utopia's Paperback Romance

Owner:  Gary and Patty Szymczak

Breeder:  Kathy Aubrey

A plush coated, deep bodied masculine sable male that moved with a beautiful
outreaching suspended side gait.   He floated around the ring with such ease
that one could just imagine him working the sheep all day and never tiring.
Add to this his prettiness and outstanding temperament, and what a deserving
win this was.  This dog is an entire package and a tribute to the breed.
Just three years old, each time I see him, he gets better and better and
better and..   It was an honor for me to be able to present him with the top
award.

WINNERS DOG:  Echo-Cham's Escalade

GV Ch. Mar-Haven's Color Guard x Echo-Cham's Reign of Fire

Breeder/Owner:  Darnell Echols

This dog is downright exciting.  A med-large red sable stallion dog with an
iron back and superior head piece and he just broadcasts the impression of
power and strength.  He has excellent front reach, drive and follow-through,
covering the maximum amount of ground with little effort.   It is hard to
fault this dog anywhere, except perhaps his beautiful long tail which in
motion he carries with a hook to the side.  This dog is of such superior
quality that any judge who would withhold an award because of his tail, in
my opinion does a disservice to the breed.  Our standard says the hook in
the tail is faulty ONLY to the extent that it mars general appearance.  Well
in my opinion, nothing mars the appearance of this dog, nothing could.  In
addition, I applaud the integrity of his breeder/owner for not attempting to
make him "the perfect dog."  Wish there were more like him.

1ST 9-12 PUPPY BITCH, WINNERS BITCH, BOW, BOS:  HiCliff Breana Kaleef

Kenlyn's Aries v HiCliff x Ch. Tamar's Panache

Owner:  Donald Peltier

Breeders:  Randy, Pat, Darlene Cliff, Sheree Moses, James Moses

A star is born!  This gorgeous little bitch should finish before 18 months
of age with all majors, that's how good she is.  She is a dark black and
rich tan of correct size and lovely coat.  Besides being outstanding in
motion, she is proportioned perfectly and has show attitude in abundance.  I
can honestly say that there was nothing I didn't love about her.  This puppy
is a little gem that makes judging so much fun.  It's like finding a diamond
in an open field.  It's also knowing the future of the breed is alive and
well.