[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Cracked pads?

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: RckyIizard@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:34:28 EST

Thanks in advance for any "get better soon!" ideas  :)

When I lived in Canada we often had issues in the winter on ice with pads
cutting and cracking.    I used to use a few different  things....if one didnt
work, I used the other.
Rubbing the pad with Vitamin E helps, it softens them  and assists to
prevent further cracks. There is a liquid you can get at a pharmacy called
Friars
Balsam...you just paint it all over the pad and it helps seal it and  protect
it to heal quicker.  I usually put 2 layers of this on the  pad.  You can also
buy liquid bandage.  Again, you paint it on the  pads over the cracks.  I do
find you have to put around 3 coats of it on to  get a good surface that won't
keep cracking open.
For the vitamin E you can just break the gel caps open and put directly on
the foot.  Using this is like doing oil changes in a car, good  maintenance.
I used to put on a few times a week in cold, dry or icy  weather.
Good luck...such a problem with our active dogs!
Molly   Trillia German Shepherds
Owned by BIS  Ch Trillia's Allure CGC - Pet Hero Dog 2004 - member of the 13
Club