[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Coyotes

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:52:56 -0500

I wrote privately and said the same thing...rabies.
    Years ago a raccoon went after my former husband while he was out
fixing a broken fence.  This man played semi-pro football and isn't
afraid of much...he ran to the house, got a gun, and shot the sucker.
Then of course we had to find a place to put it until the local health
dept. people could come out and collect it...so we stuck it in an empty
feed sack and hung it in a tree.
The head was all they wanted...they sent the head to the State Office
and sure enough, the raccoon was rabid.
    The first clue was that the thing was out in broad daylight...and
there was no foaming at the mouth in this animal, either.  Mike said it
took a great leap towards him...that was all he needed to go and get the
shotgun.  For a while after that, he carried that shotgun around with
him everytime he went out on the property, but we saw no more rabid
raccoons.
    We never saw coyotes back then, but we did have some bears in the
mountains behind our farm.
Peggy