[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Coyotes

  • From: "billie" <arelee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 07:13:56 -0800

I formerly lived on acreage, with dogs, cats, horses, geese, rabbits,
chickens etc. When we had kids who wanted all kinds of animals.
Behind our property were hundreds of acres of beautiful rolling hills, with
old knurled oak trees, a few natural ponds etc. It was a natural habitat for
many predator's.
We saw a mountain loin once, and coyotes a few times, killed a couple of
rattle snakes. Occasionally you could hear the coyotes.
I never left my dogs out at night. We had a crate room off of the garage,
some slept in the crates, some slept in the house.
We ended up cross fencing our property and putting heavy gauge cyclone gates
along out back road between  the back barn area, and the house. This way the
area was divided, with the final and heaviest gate nearer the patio and the
back of the house. We had heavy gauge cyclone fencing surrounding and behind
the kennel area as well
We had a wonderful dog who would herd the ducks and geese.I called him my
duckherd.  This was my Champion Arelee's Woodstock, CD, who was the 1977(? I
think) Pacific Coast Victor He herded them into safety each night before
dark. This safe place was between two big, heavy driveway size gates, and of
course nearer the house, which the predators would avoid. This was before
herding came into our sport. He was a natural.
Sorry, if I am posting something that no one is interested in, but the
nostalgia and those fond memories have made my day.
Beryl Eshom
Arelee GSD
Davis, Ca.