[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Coyotes

  • From: "DavidFritsche" <dfritsche@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lexieshep@xxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:10:54 -0800

> My question, she has a 90 lb shepherd, and she said
> that the Coyote was no more than 40 lbs. If these two
> fought, she (the neighbor), seems to think that the
> Coyote would have killed the shepherd.  I am glad that
> she did not have to find out, and the dog listened to
> the owner.
> Dawn

Dawn....
We have dogs and Coyotes... lots of both. We live on 64 acrea in the high
desert with mountains all around and the surrounding properties are all
ranches, farms. Every night almost we have a pack in our yard and see them
regularly. When an emergency vehicle goes down the highway, the packs will
howl much like our dog packs. We have counted at least four distinct packs
from their sounds in our valley. There may be more.

I am not a wildlife expert, but have a friend who works for the Nevada
Wildlife Department (No not in Vegas)! We have had several incidents....

1. A female (I don't know if she was in heat or not - I can't smell that
well) walked into a clearing in a valley within sight of our dogs. My Quake
went towards her to investigate, even ignoring my call. Then I saw two other
coyotes triangulating Quake, trapping him between. Then I yelled
frantically.... He came and they ran off.
I suspect they would hunt and kill a dog. My vet agrees, having repaired
several dogs bitten by coyotes.

2. Quake did attack a pack of coyotes some time later. We were in the
mountains walking and we came upon a pack (we were down wind) drinking at a
stream. They bolted and Quake and Mandy went after them (without our
permission!!!). Quake caught one and killed it. He seemed very proud of
himself for protecting us, and although I was not real happy with the
encounter and result, it was hard to fault him for doing what he is supposed
to do - protect! The battle was quick and Quake did not have a scratch.

The key to his victory, so it seemed to me, was that the coyote chose to run
and was at a disadvantage and too slow to outrun the Shepherd. Had it have
been the whole pack, grouped for attack it might well have been a different
story.

Our choice is to share the land - nothing else we can do - and to avoid the
contact at all cost. We make lots of noise when we go out on the property to
walk and so far the coyotes avoid us and seem afraid of the dogs. The dogs
conversely seem cautious of the coyotes and avoid contact also. Except for
the rare surprise, we have not had any serious problems - although the dead
coyote may view that differently.

Dave