[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Count your blessings

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uwish@xxxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:16:45 -0800 (PST)

Powerful post Barbara...every one is going through something...This past
Thursday I attended a funeral of a man that 20 years ago could have been one of
my father-in-laws....his daughter now does not know if she wants to stay in
this world...I have to use all my influence on her to see that she
remains...her son called me dad at the funeral....life at times is
overwhelming...thats why God invented friends...we just need to remember we are
not in this battle by our-self ...now I need to find some one to make me
laugh...Ed Hill
Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Whew............only been home for a few days, and I'm worn out
already. So much to catch up on like the rest of you I'm sure. I was
overwhelmed with all the e-mails I had to answer and requests for
personal favors of my writings. Tributes to write, ads to help put
together, and thank you notes to help others convey what messages they
wanted to say. Very flattered, but time consuming to get it just right
the way that people want it. Anyway, mostly caught up on some of the
writing contributions; still got one more friends that I need to help
edit and I think I'm pretty well done with that for now. Thank you to
all those who thought enough of my work to ask for my help.

Now the real reason I'm writing this. Getting ready for this National
or any National is very time consuming and very expensive. I didn't
show and drove down alone with my dog Amber. We shared our room with an
old dear friend who I hadn't seen for too many years. My Amber and she
got along famously, and I think she would have loved to have gone home
with her if only her "Annie" would have allowed it. NOT!

I just finished paying the house taxes before I left, just had an oil
delivery made to the house, rented a car, had the hair done, bought the
new clothes, and the list goes on and on as all of you were doing the
same thing. Now I knew when I got back home, I also had a car that
needed fixing. So I go out and buy the part for the car when I get
home. My mechanic tells me he can't put it in because he doesn't have
certain equipment he needs to do this. Okay, he tells me to call the
dealer, which I promptly do. The dealer (I didn't buy it from him), is
very condescending and I can feel my blood pressure rising. He quotes
me an outrageous amount of money for the car to be serviced. So I look
else where and have to call back on Monday for a quote. I'm fuming and
walking around the house all day talking to myself saying "isn't this
nice after all the money I just laid out, now I have another hugh bill
to pay".

Just then my mailman pulls up and I go out to greet him. He's shuffling
some mail crates around in his car. Now this man I've knew since we
were teenagers. Several years ago he was diagnosed with stomach cancer,
and after much chemo and other treatments, it went into remission. So I
say to him, "how you been doing Mike, how you feeling". He says to me,
"not too good Barbara, the cancer is back and it's in my throat now and
I start chemo again next week". He's probably one of the nicest guys
you could ever want to talk to. All of a sudden, all my money worries,
car troubles, and everything else that I'm dealing with, no longer seem
important. I came back into the house and said a little prayer for Mike
and I remembered the little sign that I used to keep in my office when I
was a manager in Connecticut. I've told you guys this one before. It
said: "don't let anyone steal your bliss". And how I interpreted that
today to myself was that nothing, and no one out there can determine how
you feel. So what if you have to put out another $1500
&%$#$)@#*&!!!!!!, (gulp), count your blessings because no matter what
you are going through, there are so many more who are going through so
much worse.

So the judge didn't like your dog and liked someone else's better. So
what. They'll be other judges and other shows. Never give the power of
how you feel over to someone else or something else "out there". It's
all about counting your blessings for what you have inside. I got my
humbling moment from Mike the mailman today, and he doesn't even know
it. Barbara Galasso

POST is Copyrighted 2005. All material remains the property of the original