[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Costco food vs. natural

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:00:28 -0700

I haven't used the Kirkland food in a while.  I was unhappy when I tried it
the last time and a few of my dogs instantly got hotspots.

However, I do feed the Nutra-Nuggets (green bag) that is made by Diamond.
With the exception of a 3 year stint (2005-2008) where I fed Nutro-Max
(that's a whole other story), I find that it's a good basic kibble for
adults and puppies.  I will say however, I have found that oldsters can get
pretty fat on it and youngsters (12-24 months) just don't seem to get enough
out of the food.

I have switched dog foods on the dogs I'm prepping to and actively
campaigning to Purina Performance.  I've been very pleased with the dog's
condition, energy levels and coats on the Performance food.  I haven't got
my first set of Purina "checks" yet, but between Petco's buy 10 get one free
and those coupons coming from Purina, that food is going to become pretty
reasonable to feed, especially when you consider the results. It is what I'm
feeding my pom also, her coat is GORGEOUS!  Also, I've been watching for
coupons from Petsmart -- in WA state their base price of this dog food is
about $4.00 a bag cheaper than Petco, and like last time, I got a coupon for
15% off my entire purchase, it made it worth the 40 mile round-trip and
$4.00 Bridge toll to go and buy several bags, otherwise, I just pay my $4.00
more a bag at Petco and get it back in the form of a free bag of dog food.

Now back on topic... Costco... One of the best things about Costco is that I
have an Executive Membership and an Costco American Express card.  I get 2%
back on all my Costco purchases from the Executive Membership and 1% from
the American Express card -- that's 3% -- doesn't sound like a lot, but when
you're feeding 10 dogs, 3% of a $23 bag of dog food is $0.69 x 10 bags of
food a month (avg) that's $6.90 x 12 months = $82.80  The Executive
Membership is only $100 a year and I buy a lot of other things at Costco
besides dog food.  Fueling up?  The Costco American Express card gives 3%
back on fuel purchases -- so between the card and the Executive membership,
that's a 5% rebate on fuel when filling up at Costco -- Gas is $2.55 a
gallon last time I checked -- 5% is 12.75 cents a gallon cheaper -- Well,
between the Exec membership and the Costco Amex card, I got back over
$225.00 last year, take away the $100, for the Executive Membership and I'm
money ahead.

Kathaleen
"feelin' like an economist"