[ SHOWGSD-L ] Correct Toplines in GSDs

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 15:14:01 -0500

Okay -

I have a question... What, in everyone's mind is a correct GSD topline, both
moving and standing? I know what I think is correct, but I just went through my
Review, studying like every new person to a breed should and there sure is a
hodgepodge of toplines. I saw several with "humps" in various places - from
their withers to their croups. I noticed a dog with a good croup, but what
appeared to be soft back and I saw a couple who's moving toplines didn't match
the standing toplines (and dogs should carry their toplines from the stack to
the gait)... Some of the toplines/withers have to do with lots of the straight
shoulders I see, but what is really correct?

Several of these dogs were shown winning under breeder judges. Now I understand
that you can only put up as good as the competition is on that day, but it
seems to me that for correct transmittion from the front and rear, a good
topline is incredibly important. I know it is dals.

So someone (s), tell me what is correct and what would you fault more -
humps/bumps or holes in the topline...

Just curious....

Jess M.Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC,
TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC