[ SHOWGSD-L ] Cooking for dogs , ideas, opinions

  • From: DPiagentin@xxxxxxx
  • To: rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:15:50 EDT

Hi Kathy,

 I have been cooking for my dogs for 40 years, sometimes  I may slack off due
to not enough time, but recentlyI had a problem with one of  my shepherds,
with a can of Mighty dog, gave her maybe one oz. of the product  and she had
diareaha for two weeks could not get it under control.  Thank  goodness she is
finally back to normal so now I make her chicken soup, carrots,  onions celery,
just as if I am going to eat it.  My kids thru the years  when they saw a pot
of chicken soup would ask "is this for us or the  dogs".  I do use kibble
Purina Hi=Pro, and Purina One for Cleo, I use Iams  Adult for puppies,

Just an example of what I feed, all dogs here are treated as  individuals,
they get their meals catered, on the holidays, they eat Italian, at  Easter
they
have lamb and all the left overs.

Puppies get Iams mixed with Ricotta, cooked chopmeat,  chicken.
Adults get HiPro mixed with my chicken soup
If I am competing and road working the individual dog gets  Hi-Pro and a lb
of raw chop meat.  All my dogs have fabulous coats, bright,  shiney.

I have had 15 adult dogs all thru the years, and have always  fed this way,
with very little problems, or health issues, the dogs here live to  13 and
beyond.  Right now I have downsized I have only four GS, Blockbuster  is nine
going on ten and Holly is eight,  Cleo is not quite two and the  puppy Madison
is
about six months. Next year when Cleo turns two she will be  bred.

I have six Cavalier's two are Champions and two have major  points, they are
treated like GS, and also look great on my  program.

My grandparents and parents all had dogs , my grand father fed  the dogs
whatever we ate, and they lived long healthy lives, my father did the  same a
little kibble with leftovers, he now has a little maltese, with a heart
condition
and he cooks hamburger and chicken, they both have dinner together, my
father is 89, the little maltese has to stay healthy for my father, this little

dog keeps him going.

good luck with your survey,

Diane

Home of 1985  GV.Ch.Ossipee Ceasar v Clover Acre CD OFA ROM,ROMC &
Cavalier King  Charles Spaniels
_www.debmarsgermanshepherds.com_ (http://www.debmarsgermanshepherds.com/)
www.debmarscavalierkingcharlesspaniels.com

In a message dated 10/15/2008 4:33:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi Guys,  ok new subject:
Cooking for your dogs.  Now for the sake of work/cost  variables , I am
talking to people that own or
house 4 or more dogs,  large to jumbo sized.  Any age.
As I see kibble prices SOAR (Eagle  Pack is up even at our super family store
over 30% in 6 mos)
and I can  only imagine this is true with many?  I also can imagine that
kibble  manufacturers of all types are
looking to add more fillers, less quality  proteins, and cut costs, esp with
meat prices going up.
This is NOT a  food war, please.  This is NOT a RAW feeders discussion, that
is  another topic.
Who cooks for their dogs? As an adjunct or as a diet ,  complete?  What do
you love about it?  What do you  hate?
Suggestions.   What NOT to do, what you should do?
I am  reminded of a GSD owned by an elderly lady in our neighborhood , when I
was  a child.  Every two days she
killed one of her chickens (she lived on  about 36 acres) took fresh veggies
from her garden, boiled them all in  a
big stock pot...and that is what her dog ate...for his entire 14  years.  He
was gloriously healthy, shiny, and robust.
I always was  fascinated by that.

I am considering cooking large batches of chicken ,  veggies, etc for the
dogs as an adjunct to the kibble.
Ideas, stories,  welcomed.
Kathy Tank
http://www.victorygermanshepherds.com
Home of  :
CH. Elvaston's Nations Cup TC, 26 BOBs
CH. Victory's Leviathan
CH.  Garter's E-Male of Fran-Jo Anne Isle

WEBSITE PUP-DATED OCT 8 ,  2008