[ SHOWGSD-L ] Congo goes home

  • From: "Regina Steiner" <mobilegrmr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:30:30 -0500

Judge's order will allow Congo to go home
by Linda Stein/The Times
Thursday November 15, 2007, 3:13 PM

A Superior Court judge signed a consent order to free Congo the German
shepherd Thursday afternoon, meaning that the Princeton Township dog,
which was declared vicious and condemned to death by a lower court
judge on Tuesday for biting and scratching a landscaper, is expected
to be released to his owners' custody while his case continues to be
appealed.

Congo has been held at the SAVE -- A Friend to Homeless Animals
shelter in the township.
The consent order includes several conditions, chief among them that
Congo must wear a muzzle whenever he is outside his owners' Stuart
Road West house. Also, Congo is not allowed to leave the property of
his owners, Guy and Elizabeth James, without prior approval of the
township's animal control officer.

Guy James said that he and his family are thrilled with the order.
We "are so ecstatic," James said. "If you want something badly enough,
you go get it. On Tuesday, we shed tears of sorrow and today we're
shedding tears of joy."

He thanked all his supporters who sent messages from around the world
and said the fight to clear Congo's name and have his death sentence
reversed is not over.

The Jameses contend Congo should not have been deemed vicious and
sentenced to die because he was clearly, but inadvertently, provoked
by landscaper Giovanni Rivera in the June 5 incident on the James's
10-acre fenced-in property.

Municipal Court Judge Russell Annich Jr. had ruled that Congo's attack
was unprovoked.

--Regina
2 GSDs and one permanently visiting papillon