[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Confessions of a dog breeder

  • From: "billie" <arelee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <almanya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:39:06 -0700

Amy is so right. If we are  to be judged and criticized by many it is only
natural to pull back, keep quiet. It reminds me of an old saying you are
da***d and da***d  if you don't. First we all have to answer to ourselves.
Any individual may have circumstances that we are not aware of when they do
multiple litters. I would be willing to bet that most would be a legitimate
reason. Can't breed next season, timing interferes with (whatever, you
pick). Or, if we want another litter out of this great producing bitch,
better do it now, wouldn't want a winter litter etc. etc.
I think we can sometimes be critical, when perhaps if we knew the person or
the circumstances we would not do so.
Another old saying....walk a mile in my shoes.
I feel that the newer people on the list probably feel intimidated by some
of the negative posts directed at another ;lister decision.
The cream rises to the top, so those ethical breeders will be successful.
Those who breed only for money, not improvement of the breed etc. in most
instances will not attain that cream at the top.
Again I think the majority love their dogs and take pride in their top
producing bitches and stud dogs, and would not compromise their health,
condition, life with one more litter, whether it be the 2nd or the 5th or
whatever.

Beryl Eshom ( breeder to two ROM dam's and several ROM candidates)
Arelee GSD
Davis, CA.