[ SHOWGSD-L ] Conditioning

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:16:32 EST

I pride myself in doing a good job with my dogs at home so they look  AWESOME
when they come to the shows.

To me, their mental conditioning is most important.  They know there  will be
a huge celebration every time they come out of the ring, regardless of  the
color of the ribbon. They just KNOW every applause is for them, and  they get
to hang out with everyone around. That's why my dogs love to show, they  look
forward to it.

I socialize them, and expose them to as many experiences as I can,
preferably with experienced dog people. We do leash and ring training, the
PetsMart
tours, the visits to the vet (we try to check their weight weekly), the  dog
park, visit the kids and ducks at the pond, watch the school buses go by,  just
let them experience the world.  Add to that playing ball daily,  getting on the
grooming table 2-3 times a week, stacking and general grooming,  1-2
mile walks, and next thing you know, they are ready and they don't even  know
it. It wasn't work. Best part, they are not in shock when these things
happen at the shows, they are used to it.  No, you don't have to do ALL  these
every day, but you have to do something daily. And don't forget up, down,  off,
crate, bed and couch training......this comes in handy when you go on long
trips.

For harder competitions, like futurities and nationals, we do road  work,
because they need that extra training to go on longer, but with the room  with
have in our yard, the constant running back and forth when we are playing  does
the trick for all breeds and specialty shows.

The beauty of this is that the doubling is so easy, they are looking for me
because they are used to being with me all the time.  They want to find me,  I
don't have to work hard at doubling.  My handlers are always telling "Go
away, we don't need you!".....LOL

When I know a certain judge that likes to run the dogs forever is coming,
they get a little road work, and we pray for the handlers.....<G>

I look forward to see the contributions to this topic.

Ileana