[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Committee Changes

  • From: Ginialtman@xxxxxxx
  • To: pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx, Stormy435@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:28:24 EDT

The laws in the state in which the organization is incorporated come  first.
Then the bylaws,  then Special Rules of Order (and I'm  not sure that we have
any of those that apply in this situation-- we have some  that apply to
conduct in a conference call meeting and those that apply to  voting for judges
for
the National Specialty and perhaps some others that cannot  be changed except
by previous notice and 2/3 vote) but most of our P&P  manual has to do with
administrative things --not with "Rules of  Order" --so after Special Rules of
Order comes Roberts Rules of Order  --then "standing rules" which are things
that can be changed by majority vote at  any meeting -- So Laws come first ---
Ginny Altman

In a message dated 9/17/2007 12:49:21 PM Central Daylight Time,
pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Stormy is correct in her reference to what RRONR states...BUT...if the
By-Laws or P^P state only in case of a tie...I believe they  take
precedence.

What I WOULD like to know if I  am correct in thinking that so long as the
By-Laws and P&P don't  contradict State law, they would be the first
reference...RRONR next, and  only then do we refer to the actual laws of the
State.   However,  when actions are taken that conflict with any or all of
these, and actually  become illegal according to the law of the state, it's
all moot, is it  not?      I guess what I'm asking is "what is the  order in
which
we must proceed...because we have to do it backwards, do we  not?"

First, we must follow the by-laws and  the P&P.
If something isn't covered there, then we  refer to RRONR.
And, as a LAST resort, if no one  is able to find out from the above
materials just what the correct procedure  is, then we must resort to the
law of the land (state, country,  whatever)...............

Is there an  intelligent person who knows the answer to  this?

Ginny Altman

"Please let me be as kind,  intelligent, and wonderful as my dog thinks I
am."