[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Comments on gsds at AKC Canine Health Symposium

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 22:11:03 -0500 (EST)

Well Zoa, I will go to bed tonite knowing that you have our collective
"backs".

Thanks for standing up for our dogs and for all the breeders that have put
the work and done the right things.

You go girl!!

* Ileana  *
Inquest GSD's, Home of :
BISS 3x Sel EX AM CH & 2x Sel CAN CH  Karizma's Cacique of Inquest TC, aka
DEXTER
Kaleef's Expensive Date (major  pointed) aka JACKIE

In a message dated 11/15/2011 10:02:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
zrockenstein@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I  attended a symposium organized by the AKC Canine Health Foundation on
November  5th.  Overall, it was great and I commend the AKC, and the College
of  Veterinary Medicine at the University of Minnesota, for organizing this
event.  One presenter, however, left something to be desired.  I  just
completed my evaluation of a presentation entitled Gait Analysis:   Fact or
Fiction.  I am copying it to you all because I thought you should  know how our
breed was treated in this presentation.

Gait
Analysis: Facts and  Fiction

Michael  Conzemius, DVM, PhD, DACVS

Effectiveness
of  presentation:                         1x         2           3
 4          5
Relevance
to  your area of  interest:                  1           2           3
     4           5x
Appropriateness
of technical  level:                  1           2           3x         4
        5
Was
the  speaker articulate?   1           2           3           4          5x
Was
the  speaker responsive to questions?    1x         2           3
4           5
Comments/suggestions:
As a German Shepherd AKC Breeder of  Merit/exhibitor, I was shocked,
appalled, and very unhappy with this immature,  unprofessional, and poorly
informed presenter.  He opened his  presentation by ridiculing the structure
and
movement of German Shepherd Dogs  by bending his knees and
waddling across the stage area while the other  breeders laughed. This was
very
degrading and humiliating to me.  He  then asserted that the â??high incidence
â?? of hip dysplasia in the German  Shepherd is due to dropped movement in
the rear, causing additional pressure  at that
end.  Someone with both a DMV and a PHD should know that  remarks of that
nature need to be data driven.  He failed to present any  data to back this
up.  The data presented with Dr. Jerold
S. Bellâ??s  presentation, included in the symposium packet, did not even
list  German
Shepherds in the 20 breeds with the highest incidence of hip  dysplasia
according to OFA.  Dr. Bell did list German Shepherds among  those breeds with
the highest incidence of elbow
dysplasia.  Following  Dr. Conzemiusâ?? logic, you would think that German
Shepherds are built lower in  the front than in the rear, putting more
pressure on the front, which is  obviously not the
case.  Reputable breeders of German Shepherds have  worked hard for many
years to reduce the incidence of both hip and elbow  dysplasia in our breed
both through x-raying our breeding stock and
through  pedigree analysis.  And, we have made significant progress.  If
Dr.  Conzemius
would study the breed standard, and the history of the breed, he  would
understand why a German Shepherd is not built like a Malamute.   Predominant on
Dr. Bellâ??s list of breeds with
the highest incidence of hip  dysplasia are bulldogs, terriers, and
spaniels.  Some of these are built  high in the rear, according to their breed
standard.  I would suggest  that AKC set down some guidelines for these
symposium presenters.  I am  sure it is not your intent for breeders to
experience
the public ridicule of  their breed, based on ignorance and misinformation,
at your otherwise  outstanding health symposiums.  Since gait analysis plays
such a  predominant
role in the conformation judging of German Shepherds, this  topic area is
of the
utmost interest to German Shepherd breeders.   This particular
presentation, however, could have used a little more â??factâ??  and a little
less â??fictionâ??
.
Zoa

Dr. Zoa  Rockenstein
www.riverrockgermanshepherds.com
Home of Multiple  Group Winner  GCH RiverRock's Hotel California (Callie)
HSAs RN BN
and  her 13 beautiful puppies sired by Welove Du Chien's Captain America
(Stevie)