[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Comments from a Newbie

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:34:33 -0500

Hi Dee:  Great post.  Congratulations on speaking your mind, but in a=20
respectful way.  Keep on doing what you are doing.  You got your values=20
in the right place.  Continued success to you.  Barbara Galasso

dlauffer@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I find all this talk about All Breed vs Specialty interesting.  I have o=
nly been in this sport for 2 1/2 years and last summer finished our first=
 Champion.  What we were taught is that there are all breed dogs and spec=
ialty dogs.  The difference between the two is how extreme they were.  Th=
at's it.  Not that they were better dogs, but how extreme in angulation. =
 We were also taught that in order to win in a specialty ring we had to h=
ave a well known GSD handler.  We were warned from day one about the poli=
tics regarding judges and handlers.  This information was heard not from =
one person, but just about everyone we have talked to.  I personally know=
 someone who bought a 'specialty puppy' from a breeder who co-owns and th=
is person CAN NOT show in an all breed ring, per the breeders contract.  =
I have been told that it is more prestigious to finish from the specialty=
 ring.  I wonder about that.  The CH in front of my boys name doesn't ind=
icate which ring it came from.

>I have sat ring side at both all breed and specialty and overheard conve=
rsations between judges and handlers.  I've overheard conversation of jud=
ges on their cell phones after a show.  These conversations would embarra=
ss them if known.  All you folks who claim only good judges and good dogs=
 are at specialty shows and politics doesn't play a part are either lying=
 or blind.

>We participate in both all breed and specialty.  The best we did in spec=
ialty was Reserve and BOS.  Which in my book is pretty good, seeing as we=
 don't have an overly angulated dog. Along the way, I decided that I need=
 to learn the standard, inside and out.  That is the dog I want to strive=
 for.  The dog that best meets the standard, not the look that is most po=
pular right now.  I want the dog that has a title at both ends.  One that=
 can compete in the conformation ring, but is built correctly and can per=
form the way they are supposed to.

>The day that means the most to me is not the day my boy finished.  It's =
the day that he placed Group 3 (yes an all breed show) under a well respe=
cted GSD judge with a handler that is not a well known handler, AND he ha=
dn't finished yet, he had gone BOB over specials.  THAT was a great day!!=

>Dee Lauffer
>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
>POST is Copyrighted 2005.  All material remains the property of the orig=
inal author and of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS o=
f any kind are permitted without prior permission of the original author =
 AND of the Showgsd-l Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.=20

>ALL PERSONS ARE ON NOTICE THAT THE FORWARDING, REPRODUCTION OR USE IN AN=
Y MANNER OF ANY MATERIAL WHICH APPEARS ON SHOWGSD-L WITHOUT THE EXPRESS P=
ERMISSION OF ALL PARTIES TO THE POST AND THE LIST MANAGEMENT IS EXPRESSLY=
 FORBIDDEN, AND IS A VIOLATION OF LAW. VIOLATORS OF THIS PROHIBITION WILL=
 BE PROSECUTED.=20