[ SHOWGSD-L ] Comments South East Futurity Knoxville

  • From: Harlowe Jahelka <hcj2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 19:00:49 -0500

I attended the S/E Futurity in Knoxville, TN on Sunday.....
I wanted to meet the GSD Club of Eastern Tennessee members (I'm new to the
area), make new friends, renew old friendships and of course see the dogs!!!!!!!

The weather on Sunday was great, Kathy (who I've known for many years) did a
fine job of evaluating and placing the entry, Southern hospitality was at it's
best, the Club members put on a very good show, sportsmanship  was very good.

The only problem that I observed was the double handlers in the Dog classes of
the Futurity.
Very few of them were of any assistance to their young dogs. In some cases they
really hurt their dog's chances. The handlers were trying to show the dog and
also get the doublers in the right place at the right time to make the animal
look its best. I saw dogs looking over their shoulders at the doublers that
were behind them instead of in front, causing breaking stride or tripping the
handler!
The handlers kept trying to place the doublers throughout the classes but in
many cases they were ignored or misunderstood.

During a break I had a chance to talk to Kathy and she indicated that she lost
some good animals due to  bad doubling.

My opinion for what it is worth is, If you can't double properly to assist your
dog, don't double and hurt him.

I must say that the Futurity bitch classes were better and all Maturity classes
were much better.

I'm now ready for the flames.

Harlowe Jahelka
Belleterre GSDs and Brussels Griffons