[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Colors or Problems

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: anja_heibloem-stroud@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 09:52:41 -0800 (PST)

What would be interesting is if every GSD sire and dam needed to be DNA'd
and had to pass every test that OFA offered for the GSD before they could be
AKC Registered. Now how many breeders would there would be? Does every breeder
really know correct conformation of a dog and how they are suppose to move?
Conformation plays a very important part in how a dog moves. The Breed Standard
is intrepreted differently by many breeders how many really know it.  With the
way so many GSD's are conformed and move today these dogs do not conform to
what I and others consider to be Breed Standard.

The white GSD breeders I know that show, test their dogs for every OFA
test they offer and yes also DNA their dogs. The problem is there are way too
many off-color puppy-mill breeders giving them a bad rap.

But still the most important thing is health and temperament. When a GSD dies
before they are 11-12 years as I know it use to be how can we base whether a
dog is white to determine that.

Theresa

On Tue, 2/28/12, Anja Heibloem-Stroud <anja_heibloem-stroud@xxxxxxx> wrote:

It's interesting to hear all the "problems" with those "off" colors. I wish
people would get as concerned about those other little problems we see in the
breed. You know temperament problems, bad rears, slip sliding all over the
place, front ends waving at you as they struggle to move around the ring.
Labored movement that wouldn't last if they really had to work. I love to see
movement pictures, and then wonder why peole are bragging on those dogs with
their hocks flat on the ground as they move, that's not suspension folks!
Neither is the front legs way up in the air. Slab sided dogs, dogs as long as
freight trains, steep croups, pin heads, tiny teeth with lots of space between
each one. Bad temperaments being excused away (yes, I mentioned that already!).
Health problems. Folks, as it stands now our American show dog is pretty much a
laughing stock of most average people.  Now, I realize we have made
improvements, but if you think we don't have these
 problems, well you bet
ter take a closer look the next time you go to a specailty show. Oh, and I
don't breed whites, or any of the other colors, although I did produce some
livers back in the 80's. You know the nice thing, people are still free to make
a choice here in North America as to what they want to purchase. So now when I
get home from work, I expect to have my inbox over flowing from people pissed
off at me! Go for it people!  Anja
Anja Heibloem-Stroud www.pet-net.net/hausmekon/