[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Color question for breeders.....

  • From: "Carolyn Martello" <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <proudk911@xxxxxxxxx>, <v_cleary117@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 21:01:39 -0700

I've never had anything EXCEPT a black nose and gums ...or pads on a German
Shepherd Dog??
Isn't that EXPECTED without looking for it???
We get black spots on the tongue of most of our dogs......One of our lighter
dogs ( Cowboy ) even
has two black spots on the INSIDE of one of his front legs....and we all know
that is a lighter area
on GSD's..... <G>
Also.....a true Bi Color NEVER changes it's markings. It is born a bi color
and it never changes nor
develops 'bleed through' to "become a bi color". They just always have the
two colors...no shading
and that's IT. If anything they get darker black pencil markings on their
front feet.
I think you might be describing what most of us refer to as a 'blanket' black
and tan..........?

Again....a black produces "BLACK". It doesn't require a test for
intensity....it's just.........black. <G>

Carolyn marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com

On Behalf Of Jen Proud Subject: Re: A question for breeders.....

My thoughts:
On Good Pigment= in our GSDs of color: a pup born with an all black nose
colored lips & pads. No pink!
As adults (of any black pigmented color) = black mouth pigment (gums & palate),
not pink and sometimes even a black spot on the tongue.

On Coat Color- a "true" genetic black is a-a. No chance of producing any
phaeomelanin, just eumelanin; so they do not get "bleed thru".... And with
looking at just the dog, I have no clue about how to judge the phaeomelanin
richness it might produce. (But am dying to know, as intensity is not a
mapped/commercially available testable gene as yet!)
A "bleed thru" black with red, tan, or cream sprinklings is actually
genetically tan point (a^t-a or a^t-a^t) and just has those unknown modifiers
that make the black very extended, sometimes to where the bleed through doesn't
show until the pup gets a first adult coat and "becomes" a bi-color. These dogs
often produce lovely extended mantles (saddles) when bred to a phaeomelaninic
expressed dog, that they are heavily mantled themselves.

Coat color & skin pigment are NOT genetically related, but completely
independent of each other.
Mask and mantle are also independent of each other genetically. (Think the
black faced saddles, or conversely, bi-colors with lots of tan on the face)

Dying to hear the answer!

Jen P & her Pack fascinated by color genetics of all species

On Sunday, August 9, 2015, Virginia <v_cleary117@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is a question probably for those that have been breeding for a while. I
learned the answer to this from a very, very old German lady that was in the
breed for decades. She is gone now, but she was in her 90s when she passed away.

Here ya go…. How do you tell if a solid black dog is genetically strong in
pigment? I look forward to the discussion!

Ginger Cleary
Rome, GA

_____

Committed to the Total Dog You can be Proud of!!! JayDee's Proud-Haus
Shepherds/Proud K911 <http://www.jaydeesphs.com>
Support the next generation's stewards in the sport of dogs...
<http://www.gsyrfund.com/>

Donate to the German Shepherd Dog Youth Recognition Fund!
<http://www.gsyrfund.com>
Educating the world about the health and genetics of our magnificent dogs: the
White Shepherd Genetics Project, Inc. a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation
<http://www.wsgenetics.com>