[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Color question

  • From: "Sue Mazzeo" <Sue.Mazzeo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:17:10 -0700

From: VDanhoffer@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:12:43 EDT
Subject: Color question
I didn't know this could happen, I have a question.  A local person
asked me
to evaluate a 13 month old male for SAR.  He was very aggressive,  come
find out, he was taught to be that way.  Won't work for SAR, we  can't
eat the
people we find!  Anyway, here's the color question.   This person has 2
solid
black dogs and they have a solid white littermate.   I don't know
anything
about the sire and dam.  Guess that would help.   Obviously it can
happen, but how?

Barbie Balyeat

The white color and the normal colors are controlled by two different
sets of genes.
When the double dose of the gene that produces the white is present,
the dog will
always be white because that gene masks the dog's true color.  That
white littermate
may very well be a solid black dog with the white masking gene.  All
white dogs
carry the genes for the other 'normal' GSD colors, but the white gene
masks whatever
that color is.  In other words if you were to breed the white dog to a
dog that did not
carry the white gene, but did carry the black, you could get all black
dogs.

Sue Mazzeo

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the
use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use
or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including
the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the
communication.