[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Color question

  • From: "Norma Ramey" <gsdramey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <VDanhoffer@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:52:35 -0500

Well, studying the color factor in our GSDs, it is noted that they are a
different than, say
Beagles (just as an example) !  Oddly enough in resulting purposeful
breedings, the base
color is sable or (agouti)      As with everything connected with genetics,
and color is --
certain combinations can cause multi colors in the one group.  Even in
humans, you can
have ( - as in my own - red hair but my brother had dark brown)  I had 2
sons, no red
hair, but the one married a girl who did have the recessive -- 2 red haired
offspring but
a 3rd had a medium brown like her parents.   I will never forget a litter of
GSDs that
had - black & tan, black & silver (cream), black AND white!! I've never
heard of nor
ever seen such a mixture in any other litter before or since and this was in
the late 60s.
So many folks just put 2 dogs together because they are - the same breed -
of course
nowadays there are folks who do -- yikes - mixes just for -- who knows, but
they're
getting real money for these mutts.    Then, we, who've always done it thru
work &
study have trouble trying to figure it all out but I think, not sure, but
the saying of
"Only in America" may qualify for this action.   Norma no L