[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Codes, Disclosure and Bias

  • From: " Oak Smith" <osmith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rbuffdogs@xxxxxxxxx>, "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 06:58:58 -0600

Kathy writes:
Disclosure, Education, Communication, and some empathy for people facing
these issues in their dogs.....it could be any of us, at any time.

Well said!

As many of you know I wrote the article that was published in the review a
couple of years ago on ME. Kathy has a great point but it needs to go
further. How many of you have had OFA hips & elbows bred to OFA hips &
elbows, and have had them back for several generations and still get bad
elbows? Things happen. Especially with ME. While the babies of Kathy's Nitro
were ME free it will take SEVERAL generations to say they successfully bred
around the ME and by that time who is disclosing what happened with
Great-Great grandparents?
Disclosure is vital if we are agreed that the ultimate goal is to breed
better dogs with each generation. BUT the real goal for getting this done,
and maybe the push for the parent club, would be to identify the genetic
markers on those problems which arise so that DNA work-ups could
successfully identify those problems before a breeding. I hope that someday
this will be a tool all can use to improve the lives and the functionality
of our dogs.
Right at this moment in time no one, no one, knows what causes ME, what
genes, who carries, does only one need to have it, do both, how many
generations back before it is gone? At this time the one ray of hope is a
genetic marker. This will take time and most of all money to accomplish.
Until then disclosure is our best weapon.
After all there is a reason dogs can have litter's twice a year. There have
been genetic problems longer than dogs have been domesticated.

Oak
Oak Ridge German Shepherds
Dedicated to the German Shepherd Dog
Signers of the GSDCA Breeders Code of Ethics.