[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Code of Ethics--Just my opinion

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:12:15 -0700 (PDT)

If all the people that want a dog actually were educated in dog ownership you
would be right.  But idiots I deal with all the time who don't have a clue that
female dogs will bleed when in heat, or that the smell can travel as much as 5
miles and attract males from all over, even well trained dogs will take a try
at freedom for a bitch, and a foolish owner, like the canine cop whose male had
never ever ever gone off just looked at his handler one day and bolted.  Don't
know the upshot but I got a call for help.  I said get a bitch in heat on the
property.

  If all dog owners could be screened and regulated you would be right.  But
this is the USA and freedom comes at a price. You gotta deal with idiots too,
and they can go buy a dog from a store like a stereo and then breed it to death
or to the point of getting in trouble with money and law.

  If I sell a pet, I expect it to not reproduce.  To that end, I will insist
that they s/n a pet I sell.  If it were good enough to breed it would not be
for sale to the common man who is about to be throughly educated by me about
owning a GSD, and then turned down, so they will go to a store and buy one.

  We all want only the best dogs.  Most of us are not interested in putting
down puppies that are not superstars.  I would rather not keep them, but I
created them, and I am responsible for them once they beging to breath and
nurse, for life.

  Culling is not part of the bargan for most of us I expect.  Yes, it is done
in Germany frequently I have heard (yes, I could be wrong!) but it is not
common here.
  sheila
EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx wrote:
  I was only going to send this to Jamie but I thought what the hell.
Put up the shields Scotty.

Jamie when I sell a dog I stress that if they S/N the guarantee is void. I
don't sell dogs that are not good enough to breed. If someone tells me they
will fix one of my males I won't sell them a dog. They should be responsible
enough to NOT let their dog run loose and breed indiscriminately. A lot of
dogs die from the operation. If the owner is responsible there is no need to
cut
them. After all they let any moron lunatic human breed they let mentally
retarded people breed. My dogs are better than they are. And if my dog does
fall under one of the above groups I don't sell them I put them down. As to
having an OFA # before using them for breeding I can think of some damn nice
dogs
that would not be in the gene pool if that were a rule. One for instance
would be 3 time Select Houston of wildwood. And I have been told that had the
great Axel Dieninghauserhide been x-rayed he would not have been good enough to
breed to. Now take him from the gene pool and about 99% of the great dog in
America would disappear. Including Your wonderful Leroy. Look I am not saying
we should breed to crazy or crippled dogs what I am saying is you must be
careful what you wish for and want. The answer to most of the problems in out
breed can be solved with breeder responsibility. I don't believe anything else
will work. If you breed GSDs you must take responsibility for what you
breed. Kathy Tank is right. The bad breeder will always find a way around the
rules.
Fred
PS I have only put two down in the last 25 years that I can remember.
They wanted to eat people. I have pulled dogs from public stud. And I have
openly told people of any problems I have found in what I have bred.

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!