[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Code of Ethics--Just my opinion

  • From: tsaligsds@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, jkerner@xxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 17:45:25 +0000

Let me just kick in something here.  Having worked in the industry and
managing/seeing/participating in the euthanasia of 50 to 100 animals per day
for over 18 years I can tell you in all honesty, not only do they not want to
BE educated.  They don't even want to KNOW about it!   We are dealing with a
very small, but VERY vocal and REACTIVE, portion of any area's constituency.
The vast majority of taxpayers just don't want to know about it.
1) What MAY help solve the problem is to offer FREE spay/neuter for TNR
programs and fine folks who refues to participate.  If you want to feed stray
colonies then have them altered, microchipped AND ear marked so that they are
easily identifiable as altered.  Set up transportation for everyone in, not
just the elderly AND use mobile clinics to hit low income areas.  Colonies
should be dying out not remaining stable.  As cats get older with no new
breeders colonies should go away.  That would end 60% of all euthanasias across
the country.

2) Stop the ones who bring in litters every 4 [cats] to 6 months [dogs] FINE
and mandate S/N for BOTH parents for the second litter surrendered.  If animals
are not brough in to shelters they don't count in the numbers either adopted or
euthanized.  AND Set up referral programs - allow folks to post animals on a
'petfinders' style website AFTER they are altered so that folks know they are
available for adoption.  This would be great for GSD owners - we could include
it in the GSDCA's welcome letter sent by AKC. "If you find you can't keep your
pet we will assis you in locating another home for your beloved
companion........ "  Keep them out of the shelters.

3) DO SOMETHING to keep humane organizations from importing animals form
outside the continental US for adoption.  Adding to the numbers DOES NOT help
our side.

These things combined with a strong breed rescue and volunteer advisors to help
train new employees in breed identification [and mentor individual employees so
that they get involved in purebreds], hlep with behavior 'hotlines' to keep
animals in their current homes, would not only DRASTICALLY cut euthanasia rates
but would also shine a VERY positive light on responsible animal owners.

Not JUST my opinion but facts!!

--
Suzanne
www.tsalishepherds.com