[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Code of Ethics--Just my opinion

  • From: Edwin Hill <edwinx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jkerner@xxxxxxxxx, freelist <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:06:57 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jane...I read your post very carefully, your wisdom and intelligence speaks
for itself...I once believed as you do, when you buy a dog its yours to do what
ever you want ( which is why I HATE CO-OWNERSHIPS)...I am not into controlling
folks and I fight very hard not to be controlled, and I believe many times we-
so-called breeders drive puppy buyers right into the homes of puppy millers and
BYBs with our home checks , questioneers, and 20 page applications....but the
fact remains there are too many cats and dogs put to death...our PETA type
opponents are heavily armed and will continue to battle us, we can no longer
assume that all of the animals we sell, the buyer will do the right thing (
whatever that is) Jane, you are smarter than I, just what can we do to slow
down the rate of dogs and cats being put to death?...folks say
EDUCATION.....well my good friend Bill Basu has a saying that goes like
this..."you can't teach me a lesson that I don't want to learn"...he's
 smarter than I am too but just barely...balls in your court Jane......Ed
Jane Kerner <jkerner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:   Let's think about this matter of a S/N
clause in a signed agreement between breeder and new owner, folks........
I would like to suggest that we reflect a while on Moses, the great law giver,
and the tablets of stone he brought down from the mountain. They were given to
him by Almighty God.

Just ten simple rules.........with a negative, and by inference, a positive
side.

Now may we please reflect on the Library on Congress and your attorney's law
library?

What, pray tell, is the difference between beloved Moses' stone tablets and all
the law libraries on planet earth?

Probably 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 elaborate laws......

And now the necessity for the 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 attorneys to
interpret, study, implement,enforce, legislate, and.......
.......... (this is very important, listen up).............and litigate.

One of the reasons we now have so many laws and lawyers is that some people
believe that everything under the sun needs to be codified into law.

In the state of Wisconsin, animals are considered Property.
(And a good thing too).

Once the breeder signs over ownership of an animal to another individual, (in
this case the buyer), the new owner is fully responsible for the control and
health care of said animal.

How, ( again pray tell), just how many times does the breeder want to pay an
attorney to take the new owner to court to enforce a S/N agreement ?????????

And is it even possible?

Aren't the PETA and AR guys the ones who want to enforce mandatory S/N
legislation?

How is the breeder going to enforce a S/N promise between himself/herself and
the new owner?

The AKC has provided a deterrent to random breeding with the limited
registration option.

As my sainted old German grandmother often said:

"It's a free country but not so much anymore, ain't it?"
...and......
"That which governs least governs best."
....and.......

"Stay out of court, because it is like attempting a swim across a molasses
lake. Sometimes you can't get out once you dive in".
......and........

"Keep it simple".
...and........
"Brevity is the soul of wit".
........and.......
"Flexibility, Flexibility".

"It is very difficult to get a buyer to sign a ten page agreement when
selecting a puppy".

"Remember Moses and the ten simple commandments."

I love my old sainted grandmother.

She knew that any agreement signed between two parties is only as good as the
character and integrity of the souls who sign it......
.......and she also knew some people seem to like diving into a molasses lake
to swim around in it for a while...........even if they might have a hard time
getting out.

Another thing my old grandmother said:

"The same goes for the Code of Ethics.......keep it simple ....because trying
to enforce it, getting people to agree with it.........and preventing
unintended consequences will be problematic."

Jane Kerner