[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Code of Ethics/ CHD

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 19:40:02 EDT

In a message dated 7/13/2007 6:20:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gsdk9rat@xxxxxxxx writes:
I agree  with Syd. CHD is a highly inheritable joint deformity, it is the
major  cause of canine osteoarthritis, it is invariably painful & progressive

and any dog who carries it should be eliminated from the gene pool just  like
dogs who produce missing teeth, cryptorchids, monorchids, epilepsy,
undershot jaw, or anything else harmful to the breed. Who would breed to a
dog that had epilepsy?

Oh well, better quit breeding then.  Can anybody find  a pedigree free of all
the "bads"?  You left out DM, mega,  bloat/torsion......as far as breeding to
a dog that has epilepsy, no, but it's  in some lines, and yes, you avoid it.
And what about situations where you  are sailing along thinking everything is
good and then relatives start with  issues?

Missing teeth...no, I don't want it, but a dog can live a  lovely life
missing a tooth.  Ditto a dog born without a  testicle.

I've known dogs without numbers who lived into their teens  and never took  a
bad step.  To me you look at the whole  picture.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC
three  generations of Dual Titled TC'd Champions live here!

visit www.geocities.com/pinehillgsds