[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Code of Ethics?

  • From: Peggy <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:59:40 -0400

    In this day and age, I can't believe that there are breeders who
call themselves "conscientious" who do NOT have spay/neuter contracts on
puppies sold as pets.  What would be the purpose of not insisting on
that?  Oh, sorry, I figured it out...it's so Dawn can keep finding
purebred GSDs all around the country in miserable condition in shelters,
waiting to be adopted or put to death!!!
       There is NO reason for a pure pet not to be spayed or neutered.
None.  If people want to breed, let them sign a contract that specifies
NO BREEDING until a particular age, say maybe 3 years, at which time the
original breeder can re-evaluate the dog and decide if it is worthy of
being bred...and then the breeder should get VERY involved with  the
owner's plans, etc., perhaps even whelping the litter, raising it,
etc.   And, if that seems like too much trouble, then  just get every
pet spayed or neutered.  It is done in other breeds, and it works just
fine.  Nobody thinks it's elitist...and if they should harbor ill
thoughts toward the breeder who demands it, let that buyer go somewhere
else....there is no other way to absolutely guarantee that some poor
shelter dog (or its sire or dam) isn't carrying your kennel name.
    Peggy