[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Code of Ethics?

  • From: sheila lieberman <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:52:02 -0700 (PDT)

Requiring us to OFA our dogs is only smart.  St Bernard's are not xrayed at
all, it is frowned upon, I got this from a former St breeder.  We should or
should expect the OFA results before the pups are born.  As for the
sterilization clause, again, isn't this just what most of us do anyway?
Shouldn't a requirement such as this be welcome?

  It makes sense.  Yes, some really good dogs might get sterilized before we
realize how good they are, but if they were sold as pets, pets they should be.

  So as a member of the GSDCA, I say let's pass this and move forward.  Our
morals will be called into question anytime we fight legislation that would
require all animals be sterilized.  We need to stand up under scrutiny.
  sheila
  sheila
Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx wrote:
  In a message dated 7/12/2007 11:21:17 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> I just went onto the ARC site to read the Rottweiler Code of Ethics. As
> an owner/buyer I found it pretty impressive and confidence building. Since
> I'm not a breeder (yet), I can't actually see the downside to this
> comprehensive document. Anyone want to enlighten me?
Mary Anne.....the new proposed Breeders Code that I have presented to the
Board (several times) is a composite of many of the codes of other
breeds....some
with much stronger language than ours, some less so.
So far, the objections to my new proposed code have been the language that
stresses using a contract that uses a PET spay/neuter/limited clause. Also
the clause that states parents should be OFA'd before breeding. From what I am
led to understand, these two issues are hanging up the approval of the new
Breeders Code. AGAIN, not to be confused with a general membership ethics
code.

Jamie