[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Code of Ethics?

  • From: "Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <Windwalkergsds@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:32:08 -0400

As a buyer/owner, I actually look for this requirement.  In my opinion if a
breeder doesn't think that a particular dog should be bred, I should respect
their opinion.  At this stage of my GSD career, they know much more than I
do.  However, my last pup was purchased with the idea that I'd show him.  I
purchased him on a non breeding contract with the provision that if I titled
him in Show, Obed, or Schutzhund AND provided xrays and OFA certification
that the contract could be amended.  I'd planned honouring that agreement
until we discovered that he couldn't be shown, then I waited as long as I
could before neutering him (11 months), not so that I could breed him but so
that he would have the benefit of his hormones aiding his growth and
maturity.  Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I wouldn't purchase a pup if the
breeder didn't have the parent's OFA'd (or the CDN equivalent) and didn't
have some requirements of me.  IMHO indiscriminate sales indicate a poor
breeder and I would be just looking for problems purchasing a pup from such
a person.  BTW just because they're sold on a non-breeding contract doesn't
mean that the 'ijits' buying them don't breed them.  I'm not sure how you
could monitor the spay/neuter clause but I'm not a huge believer in S/N
before maturity other than for medical reasons.  It comes down again to
trusting both the breeders and the buyers.  Hopefully higher standards will
encourage better owners.
Mary-Anne
   Peggy Wrote:   In this day and age, I can't believe that there are
breeders who call themselves "conscientious" who do NOT have spay/neuter
contracts on puppies sold as pets.  What would be the purpose of not
insisting on that?  Oh, sorry, I figured it out...it's so Dawn can keep
finding purebred GSDs all around the country in miserable condition in
shelters, waiting to be adopted or put to death!!!
       There is NO reason for a pure pet not to be spayed or neutered.
None.  If people want to breed, let them sign a contract that specifies NO
BREEDING until a particular age, say maybe 3 years, at which time the
original breeder can re-evaluate the dog and decide if it is worthy of being
bred...and then the breeder should get VERY involved with  the owner's
plans, etc., perhaps even whelping the litter, raising it, etc.   And, if
that seems like too much trouble, then  just get every pet spayed or
neutered.  It is done in other breeds, and it works just fine.  Nobody
thinks it's elitist...and if they should harbor ill thoughts toward the
breeder who demands it, let that buyer go somewhere else....there is no
other way to absolutely guarantee that some poor shelter dog (or its sire or
dam) isn't carrying your kennel name.
    Peggy