[ SHOWGSD-L ] Code of Ethics

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 10:06:42 -0800

Definitions:
Code - any system or collection of rules and regulations
Ethics - 2. the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class
of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.: medical ethics;
Christian ethics. 3. moral principles, as of an individual: His ethics
forbade betrayal of a confidence.  4. (usually used with a singular verb)
that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct,
with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the
goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.

The GSDCC, Inc. has their bylaws under objectives of the club it is required
that as a member when you sign the membership application form you agree to
follow the code of ethics of the club.  Their Code of ethics is basic, but
every member must agree to them:

"GSDCC Code of Ethics:  As a MEMBER I resolve to abide by the constitution,
By-Laws, and standards as set down by the G.S.D.C.C. Inc. and always conduct
myself in a manner that will be beneficial to the G.S.D.C.C. Inc., the
Breed, and its image. As a BREEDER I resolve to devote my efforts to the
improvement of the Breed by maintaining high standards of temperament and
physical soundness in my breeding stock and insisting that the stud dogs I
use for breeding purposes are of the same high standard. As an INDIVIDUAL
with a special interest in the Breed, I resolve to maintain personal contact
with all animals under my care and insure that they are kept properly and
parasite free, to share my knowledge with other members, and to support the
G.S.D.C.C. Inc. in all its endeavors. January 1982"

Perhaps if the GSDCA has a similar type of "Code of Ethics" in place, either
in replacement of the Breeders Code of Ethics or in addition to, but a
requirement for membership - Perhaps there would be grounds for expulsion
for people like "Lane's Shepherds" and those like Mr. Hunte would think
twice about signing the membership form.  As a side note - the GSDCC also
requires 2 sponsors for application.

I think the sponsors should be mandatory - Not only so we have someone we
can talk to that "vouched" for this new applicant, but also because it
requires that the new member has to make "some" contact.  The problem I'm
seeing with clubs in general is that we've become so fragmented, that it's
difficult to get into social situations.  People are very tight in their own
"cliques" or "groups" and it seems the only way someone new gets involved is
if they buy a dog from someone in the "group".  That kind of mentality does
not allow for free thinking and development of a sense of identity amongst
the breeders.

Just some thoughts.

Kathaleen

Kathaleen Strong - Inflight Kennels Reg'd - Breeders of:
1995 US GV, AOE-1996 US GVx, Jubilee ROM
http://inflight.cnc.net