[ SHOWGSD-L ] Coats

  • From: SoilentGrn@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 20:04:38 -0400 (EDT)

The long coat gene does not travel by itself, it is joined with many other
genes in its chromosome.
Not all genes within a chromosome are interchangeable with its mated
chromosome but travel as a unit.
Even though the long coat gene is a recessive, that does not mean all genes
 within that chromosome are recessive.
It is very possible genetically for other qualities to travel with the long
 coat gene.

Long ago I read about what things the long coat *tend* to bring with  them.
 I believe it could have been the Goldbecker/Hart book.  Sure  enough my
first very nice long coat and major point winner of the 70s had all  those
things.

There is someone I can ask about where the long coat came from but waiting
for the right timing.  I have my suspicions due to the things they bring
with them but do not want to say for sure until I know.
Lissa