[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Coat Supplement Question

  • From: "Mary-Anne" <mary-anne.boulet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dgshwpromo@xxxxxxxxx>, <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:01:50 -0400

Are you feeding raw also?  I'm just wondering how 1 gram of fish oil would
affect my girl who has EPI and should be fed on a low fat diet.  She has
skin, shed & allergy problems galore!
Mary-Anne

  My "secret"?  Super Omega fish oil caps.  I take anywhere from 1 to 8
daily depending on how stressed I am, I am about to up the dose!!

  But the dogs get one gram cap daily.  They just love it.  I have to teach
each new dog that the lack of scent on the outside belies the flavor inside.
Once the dogs understand it, they cannot wait till I give them theirs each
night.
  sheila
Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi Everyone -

I have a "I have never owned a "coated" breed question".

I took the plunge and am feeding raw. So far the girls (Simmie, age 8 and
Pepper, age 11 months) are doing great! I couldn't be happier (and neither
could they)..

Anyhoo, both dogs are in full blown shed, probably due to many reasons
(weather, food switch, Pepper shedding puppy coat, etc.), but I would also
like to make sure they are growing in a new coat while going through the
shed. Both have healthy skin, no allergies, etc..

What I am wondering is, what does everyone use for a coat supplement? If you
feed raw, what have you had good success with? I have started adding salmon
oil in addition, they are getting a fair amount of protein in hopes that it
will help grow hair back a bit faster (both work excellent on the dals and
the Flat-Coats that I have finished), but I am looking for other ideas.

Thanks in advance!

Jess Mac
Paisley Dals (and two, yes coutem' TWO GSDs)
www.paisleydals.com