[ SHOWGSD-L ] Coalition of AKC Parent Clubs

  • From: barbmarkh@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 03:07:42 -0500

I was thinking that in order to combat some of the bad publicity that
pure breed dogs are getting we need an entity that can do some
advertising - I know one would think that would be the AKC but the AKC
seems to be busy just trying to keep the money flowing ( to them that
is) and the other "new" pure breed registry's are just trying to be the
AKC. So if all the parent clubs would form a coalition they could put
out info on how much money they spend on health research, or could
begin a positive campaign for purchasing pure breed puppies, or promote
their activities in breed rescue - not putting down shelter dogs but
perhaps promoting the pure breed dogs that show up in shelters and use
that to clarify the differences between buying from a BYB and committed
breeder of quality, healthy pure breeds.
Maybe we should promote pure breed dogs like BMW, or Mercedes or Jaguar
promote their cars - you can go down the road in any car - but for some
reason we all think its better to ride down the road in one of these
cars. One other curious part to this is that it seems those of us that
are committed to the better pure breed dogs are breeding less which
allows for the BYB and puppy mills to get a bigger share of the
purchasing public which makes the pure breed dogs look whose because
they aren't the ones interested in improving the conformation and
health issues . . . It's like BMW making fewer cars so Ford or Chevy
can get a better foot hold on the market . . .

Just thinking out loud I guess

Barb