[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Clubs folding & Futurity Counts

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:10:47 EDT

Todd, you write:
I am not  a member of a regional club. Not
because I don't want to be, it is  logistical for me. For me to get to either
of the meetings of the two clubs  closest to me in the state of Georgia it is
an hour and a half drive  without traffic. If you've driven through Atlanta
at 5 pm on any weekday  you know you can add an additional hour to that. Then
you have the issue of  taking care of my human children, finding childcare
for 4-6 hours depending  on traffic. My kids are 4,3,2 years old. Taking care
of our canine  children, etc. So by the time I get off work (5:00p.m.) feed
the dogs and  meet the baby sitter, then drive 2 hours the earliest I could
be at a club  meeting is 8pm. By now I have already missed most of the
meeting anyway.

and

" We are showing one dog this year - our
first time ever. Why, in 20  years have I not shown a dog? One reason! MONEY!
I am a minister (don't get  paid that great)..guess I'm not in it for the
pay. My wife chooses to stay  home with our 3 kids. Prior to getting married
7 years ago I was a single  college student trying to show dogs. All of these
things are personal but so  are our dogs. I say all this to say - I would
love to show more and in more  events. But with the costs of vet bills, plane
flights, show entries, handler  fees (no gripe from me on this - I love my
handler and he earns every dime).  It is difficult for new people to be
involved. "

Doris addressed this issue earlier in the month.  It's not in the  cards for
you to be heavily involved in showing dogs right now w/ three little  babies
to raise on a minister's salary.  Just as Doris mentioned that there  were
different priorities at different times in her life, it would appear you  have
much more important things than dogs and dog shows to spend your energy,  time
and money on now:)

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_