[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Clean Teeth

  • From: "Mary-Anne" <versatilegsds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kthalfen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gsd list" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:57:46 -0500

Actually what Katie has written makes perfect sense.  My husband (at 65
years old) has had one cavity in his life.  He eats huge Costco size bags of
Jujubes regularly (as in one every two weeks).  I drink pepsi regularly and
have made my dentist rich.
However, I'll make one addendum to Katie's ...please don't feed your dog
jujubes ... while it may be comical, it's still SUGAR!  Their teeth may
survive, but your nerves won't...puppy zoomies are cute, 2 - 95 lb. GSD's
with zoomies are a disaster waiting to happen <huge grin>
Merry Christmas to all.
Mary-Anne

>Have you ever meet anyone who eats all kinds of junk food, drinks soda and
>sports drinks all day and find out they have never had a cavity or a
>filling?  Well these people do exist.  You might wonder how they are so
>lucky.  It is the same way in dogs as well, some never need their teeth
>cleaned-I see 14 year old dogs with gorgeous teeth that are sparkling and
>eat canned food only.  You might wonder how that is possible.  Your dental
>health is actually more dependent on your genetic makeup than on anything
>that you eat.  The bacteria in your mouth-your "normal flora" is what
>determines your dental hygiene.  This goes for all animals-including
>humans.  If you have a dog prone to dental disease, it might make it worse
>to feed them canned food only, but feeding dry food or raw diet isn't going
>to prevent all their teeth from falling out.  Just visit a nursing home and
>you'll find the same thing in people-some have their teeth and others
>don't!  Unfortunately much like everything
 else-allergies, ear infections, etc.  Its genetics!
Katie Halfen DVM
Casamoko Shepherds
www.casamoko.com