[ SHOWGSD-L ] Christmas story (long)

  • From: Marcia Hadley <blackoaks01@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 23:26:14 -0500 (EST)

On December 9th. I found an ad on the Pets section of St. Louis Craigslist.
The poster was asking for some help. He is a Veteran who recently received
a GSD puppy to train as a Service Dog to help him with his battle with
PTSD. (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.) All this guy asked for was help getting
a larger crate, since his pup was rapidly outgrowing his baby crate. Since it
is close
to Christmas, I thought it would be great to ask some friends if they wanted to
join me
in "adopting" a Wounded Warrior, and his Service Dog pup for Christmas.
Although some members of our local GSD Club were adamant that we not donate any
"Club" funds,many members, and friends thought they wanted to get involved.
It was discovered that one of our friends, Dannie knew this young man, and had
assisted him in getting his GSD puppy, but had no idea that he was suffering
from PTSD.
With a few e-mails, and phone calls the ball was rolling to help get Jon, and
Patton
the supplies they needed. There was a Club Christmas party where donations were
gathered by Dannie to be delivered to John this weekend, including crates,
toys, and cash.
After I was told Jon only fed Patton Purina Pro Plan, I e-mailed Purina, and
told them his
story. Today Dannie received several coupons for free bags of Pro Plan puppy
food,
and a beautiful card from Annie at the Purina Event Center for Patton, and Jon.
In this hectic season, it warms my heart to know that our dog "family" comes
through
to make the Holiday bright for one young man who defended our freedom, and his
future
GSD Service Dog.
 Just wanted to share this story with the list since I am  so proud of the many
St. Louis
area GSD people who opened their hearts.
Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to Everyone.

Warmest Regards,
Marcia Hadley

Black Oak German Shepherds
blackoaks01