[ SHOWGSD-L ] Christine's post............my comments

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <hckryhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gretchanya@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:02:16 -0500

Very well written...BUT ---and that's a big but.
Yes, for years the rest of the dog fancy has complained about the excessive
(and for the most part, stupid) doubling...the cowbells,
the running like lunatics around the ring, knocking people over and all
that..and you will never convince me that all of a sudden the
AKC has decided to do something about it.  I've been to too many dog shows
for too many years to believe that.  Of course, those
same people lwho scream about our doubling also think all our dogs are
crippled...do you believe that, too?

As far as the CLUB being scrutinized because of things that happened during
the past year, yes indeed, I think the AKC may
be paying a lot more attention to what we do as a club.  That has not one
thing to do with how exhibitors behave at shows...
and even if it did, there is NOTHING that would allow a field rep to commit
assault and battery on exhibitors.

Perhaps many GSD exhibitors who are not exposed to too many all breed shows,
or who haven't much experience dealing
with field reps, particularly with Peter Gaeta, really don't understand the
situation here.

Let me point out...there is no rule against double handling.  The entire
responsibility for controlling that rests with the judge...
nowhere is it written that it can't be done.  Therefore, if the rep chooses
to spend his or her time stopping it, that is a matter
of choice.  But that's all it is.  There ARE rules against dying, colouring
noses, etc., and the reps, including this one, ignore
that those rules are broken at EVERY dog show.  No rep bothers trying to
enforce that, and that IS a rule.

The rep's duties are to help...help the club if there's a problem, help
judges if they need it, and answer questions about AKC policies
and procedures.  NOT to interfere with judges, which includes going into the
ring while judging is going on.  NOT to spend a day
or a weekend harrassing exhibitors for perceived misbehaviours.

I have no doubt that some people doubled and made noise or did other things
that may have been disruptive.  .Susie W admitted that
there was noise at the Friday morning specialty.  May I point out also that
the real harrassment began later in the day?  NOT on
Friday morning?

Finally, it does not matter whether there was double handling, shouting,
rule-breaking, or sex in the bleachers...there is absolutely
NO EXCUSE AT ALL for an AKC Executive Field Rep to lay hands on anyone.
THAT is the problem as I see it, NOT whether
anyone misbehaved, or whether the AKC is watching us more than another breed
club.  Why on earth would anyone think such
behaviour by a field rep should be condoned?            Do you think it
didn't happen?  Are you saying these people dreamed it?  Or do you think
it is OK for a field rep (or anyone else) to grab, poke, push, shove, or in
any way make physical contact with an exhibitor?

Peggy