[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Chipping vs. Tattoo

  • From: barbara17236@xxxxxxx
  • To: jokaysedona@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 18:31:43 -0500 (EST)

Let me give you a few of good reasons to have a tattoo or chip -

1.  If your dog is lost or stolen, an amber alert can be sent out to vets and
humane societies.    I know of a person whose GSD was stolen from a dog park
and later reunited with her because the thief took the dog to a vet who had an
alert of that GSD.

2.  If someone ends up with your dog, because the dog was lost, and claims it
is their dog, you have proof the dog belongs to you.  I know of a person this
has happened to and the chip proved ownership.

3.  I had my local humane society comtact me because a dog they picked up had a
chip I purchased and implanted in him as a pup.  He was able to be reunited
with his family, rather than either being adopted out or euthanized.

There are many more reasons, scenarios, etc, but we each need to decide what is
right for our dog(s).

Barb Hively - PA
DNA.  It's what makes a white, a German Shepherd